Yesterday I posted a video of a soup that I cooked for my family. I got so much response and requests for the recipe, that I decided to share it with you on my blog, so here you go. It’s a recipe from one of my favorite recipe bloggers Jessica Gavinhttps://www.jessicagavin.com. I recommend making a double recipe because your guests will want seconds!
Italian Wedding Soup with Turkey Meatballs
A comforting Italian wedding soup recipe! A flavorful marriage of healthy ingredients like tender turkey meatballs, spinach, carrots, and tortellini pasta. Prep Time15 minsCook Time30 minsTotal Time45 mins Course: EntreeCuisine: ItalianServings: 4 servings Calories: 448kcal Author: Jessica Gavin
- 1 pound ground turkey, (454g, 16 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, (64g)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, (10g), plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, (36g), minced
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (15ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, (72g), minced
- 1 cup carrots, (148g), 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 cup celery, (111g), 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 8 cups unsalted chicken broth, (1.9L, 64 ounces)
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini, (226g)
- 4 cups baby spinach, (113g, 4 ounces)
- black pepper, as needed for seasoning
- Set oven rack to the center position and preheat to broil.
- Line a large sheet pan with foil and grease with olive oil. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine ground turkey, egg, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, onion, parsley, oregano, garlic, black pepper, and salt.
- Roll turkey meatball mixture into 2 tablespoon-sized balls (about 1 1/4-inch in diameter). Recipe makes about 20 to 22 meatballs.
- Evenly place meatballs onto the greased sheet pan.
- Broil meatballs for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery. Saute until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, stir and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, add the meatballs and cook 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add pasta. Cook for 7 minutes or according to manufacturer’s instructions. Turn off heat.
- Add the spinach and stir into the soup until wilted, about 1 minute. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve soup topped with grated parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper.